HOME INFO FAQ SCHEDULE RESULTS DIRECTIONS TRAINING VOLUNTEERS CONTACT LINKS
3 May - 6 September 2016
Summer Tuesday Night Sprint Series
Starts from 6:00pm - 7:30pm. Control pickup starts just after 7:30pm.
3 May. Ashland Park. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
10 May. Thurman Hutchens. Meet Director is Shannon Ludwig.
17 May. McNeely Lake. North side. Meet Director is Laurie Biship.
24 May. Lapping Park. Flatwood. Meet Directors are Alison and Carson Torpey.
31 May. EP Tom Sawyer. Hurstbourne Ave. Meet Directors are Rich Mazzoli and Jim Carter.
7 June. Cherokee Park. Registration/start location will be disclosed at a later date. 2 courses. Meet Director is Bruce Moore.
14 June. U of L Campus. Clock tower. Meet Director is Ben King.
21 June. Lapping Park. Silver Creek. Meet Director is Aaron Smith.
28 June. McNeely Lake. Horse Parking Lot. Meet Director is Louie Smith.
5 July. No meet scheduled.
12 July. EP Tom Sawyer. Hurstbourne Ave. Meet Director is Chris Gerstle.
19 July. Champions East. Meet Director is Ryan Dunlap.
26 July. Waterfront Park. Meet Director is Emily Roach.
2 August. Girl Scout Headquarters. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
9 August. Cherokee Park. Near Archery. Meet Director is Steven Gravatte.
16 August. EP Tom Sawyer. Admin building. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
23 August. Ashland Park. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
30 August. Location TBD. Micro Sprint. Start TBD. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
10 September. Frankfort. Start TBD. Chase The Rabbit. Meet Director is Dan Mattingly.
10 July 2016 (The original date for this meet was 18 June.)
Meet Director is Louie Smith.
July 10th (Sunday)
Mystery O Short Sprint Picnic
McNeely Lake Park
Start time: 11 AM
Beginning at 11am, there will be a short sprint – less than 800 meters.
After that, about noon, we will have a picnic. There will be hot dogs and soft drinks available for purchase for a nominal fee. You may also bring your own.
Starting at 12:30 we will begin the Mystery O, “Blood on the Control: The McNeely Lake Murder”
So, what will happen?
Rest assured that someone will die. You, members of the orienteering community, will be tasked to find clues that will bring the perpetrator to justice. You will be given an orienteering map with locations marked. You will find clues to the crime at these locations. In addition, there will be actors playing out scene’s that will help you in your quest for justice. The location of these scenes will be marked on your map and you must be there at the scheduled time to view the action.
There will be a prize for the person who correctly identifies the culprit.
This event will be OLOU’s 4th Mystery O. “Blood on the Control: The McNeely Lake Murder” is a repeat of the one that we did a few years back. Those who attended the previous production are not eligible for awards.
Repeating as director will be Erica Goldsmith. She is currently appearing in The Case of the Smoking Gun at the Bristol Bar and Grille. She has directed several plays produced by Whodunit. She has also appeared in the locally produced movies “Dead Moon Rising” and “Overtime”.
Erica’s husband, Joey Goldsmith, is scheduled to repeat his highly acclaimed
portrayal of corner Heinkrik Double.
6 August 2016
Camp Stem.Caves, Cliffs & Sink Holes Year 3. Rogaine. 3hr or 6hr. All
times EDT. Registration starts at 9am. Mass start at 10am [both 3-hr & 6-hr].
Mountain Bike point to point meet. Starts 10:15am Two courses Course #1 12
controls, 5.2 KM. Course #2 13 controls 6.1KM. General comments: Special pricing
for this meet due to the multiple maps ($10 for members, $15 for non-members).
The bugs will be out--Permethrin treated socks, long pants, closed end shoes and
shirt recommended. There is a control on the Rogaine in a cave, a light source
will be necessary to find this control. Everyone must be back by 4pm. Control
pickup starts at 4pm. I am trying to work out primitive camping at Camp Stem for
Friday and Saturday night. Foot options rain or shine, Bike will depend upon
weather. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
Camp Stem.Caves, Cliffs & Sink Holes Year 3. Rogaine. 3hr or 6hr. All times EDT. Registration starts at 9am. Mass start at 10am [both 3-hr & 6-hr]. Mountain Bike point to point meet. Starts 10:15am Two courses Course #1 12 controls, 5.2 KM. Course #2 13 controls 6.1KM. General comments: Special pricing for this meet due to the multiple maps ($10 for members, $15 for non-members). The bugs will be out--Permethrin treated socks, long pants, closed end shoes and shirt recommended. There is a control on the Rogaine in a cave, a light source will be necessary to find this control. Everyone must be back by 4pm. Control pickup starts at 4pm. I am trying to work out primitive camping at Camp Stem for Friday and Saturday night. Foot options rain or shine, Bike will depend upon weather. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
27 August 2016
Slugger Field. Urban O. Details below. Meet Director is Chris Gerstle.
Start/Finish in northeast corner of Slugger Field’s
Parking lot, near the billboard.
Meet around 8:30 AM to receive briefing and map.
$5 for members & students, $10 for non-members
1. There are 30 controls on this course. You do NOT have to access them in any particular order. The controls are all worth one point.
2. There are NO orienteering controls or punches on the course. Use your map and clues to find the marked locations. If you are at the right location, you will find information needed to answer the trivia question on your clue sheet. You must correctly answer the question to get credit. Write down the answer on your clue sheet. Spelling and other minor errors will be overlooked.
3. There are no “official” water stops other than the start/finish location. Beverages can be purchased from restaurants, gas stations and stores on the course. Public water fountains and restrooms are available near Waterfront Park, at Louisville Slugger Museum at 800 West Main Street, at Fourth Street Live, and at the Louisville Free Public Library.
4. The meet will start at approximately 9 am. It will end exactly three hours after the mass start. For example, if the meet starts at 9:05 am, it will end at 12:05 pm. One point will be deducted from your score for each minute that you are late.
5. Regardless of when you finish, you MUST report to the finish area so that we can mark you as being off the course (and not worry your family when we call to report that you are missing).
6. Waterfront Park has a wading area that you can use to cool off after orienteering.
7. Please obey all traffic laws. REMEMBER, vehicle drivers do not share the sense of urgency that you feel in getting to the next control location.
8. If you have an emergency, call 911. If you have problems NOT involving an emergency, call my cell phone (given day of event).
9. Occasionally, you may encounter a panhandler. Any time you open your purse, reach for your wallet or pull money from your pockets, you place yourself in a “risky” situation. Consider donations to charitable organizations instead.
10. Thank you for coming to the 2016 Urban-O. Have fun and be careful. And DON’T BE LATE to the finish – you will lose points!
Horine. Training Meet. Details to follow. Meet Director is Louie Smith.
5 November 2016
EP Tom Sawyer. 2-hour Night O. Details to follow. Meet Director is Carl Christy.
3 December 2016
Taylorsville Lake State Park. Ohio Valley Scholastic Championships. Details to follow. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
1 Jan - 26 Mar 2017
Winter Tues Night Sprint Series
Details to follow.
Details to follow.
Jan 1 #1 St Matthews CC Meet Director is Laurie Bishop.
Jan 8 #2 and #3 Shawnee Park Meet Director is Bruce Moore.
Jan 15 ****No Meet GNC and MLK Day****
Jan 22 #4 & #5 Waverly Park Meet Directors are Carson & Alison Torpey.
Jan 29 #6 Waterfront Park Meet Director is Shannon Ludwig.
Feb 5 #7 and #8 Cherokee Park Meet Director is Ben King.
Feb 12 #9 George Rogers Clark Park. Meet Directors are Laura Ferguson & Mike Bowen.
Feb 19 #10 and #11 EP Sawyer Park. Shelter by the main EPSawyer entrance. Meet Director is Carl Christy.
Feb 26 #12 & 13 Parklands of Floyds Fork. Meet Director is Louis Smith 3.
Mar 5 #14 & #15 Lapping Park. Meet Director is Aaron Smith.
Mar 12 NO MEET
Mar 19 #16 Creasey Mahan. Meet Director is Ryan Dunlap.
Mar 26 Chase the Penguin Cherokee Park. Meet Director is TBD.
7 January 2017
Camp Barren Ridge. Race to the Island. Details to follow. Meet Director is Ken Kling.
28 January 2017
Iroquois Park. Hills and Thorns. Details to follow. Meet Director is Ben King.
25 February 2017
Bernheim Forest. Standard O Meet. Details to follow. Meet Director is Paul Vice.
11 March 2017
Otter Creek. Mad Otter. Details to follow. Meet Director is Bruce Moore.